It feels like I’ve been labouring over my second draft forever, stuck editing the same lines over and over again. Taking my freewriting, stream-of-conscious musings and shaping them into some sort of narrative. I wasn’t moving forward, frozen on the same handful of scenes. So I came up with a few different ways to motivate myself:
- Paid mentoring – I asked a former tutor of mine to look through 10,000 words of my work in progress and give me feedback. I gave myself a deadline to get the work to her and made sure those 10,000 words were towards the end of my piece.
- A reward – my computer was old and so sloooow. Some websites would no longer load or took far to long to process. I promised myself a new, super-shiny computer once my second draft was complete… which really got my fingers flying
- I’ve asked my husband to read the whole darn thing, my deadline to send it to him is the end of September
- I’ve had the germ of an idea for a new novel but I can’t even think about that until this book is written first
- And I really want to work on some shorter fiction ideas too, but am holding back as I don’t want to divert energy from my current work
So, it’s exciting to be progressing, but I still feel like I’ve got a long way to go before I can even think about submitting it anywhere.